Relationship Break-Up

A relationship break-up is a difficult time for all involved.

I aim to make it a little less stressful, at least where the property division is concerned. I can help guide you through this time by helping you work out how much equity you have in the joint home, and explain what items need to be obtained and when they will be needed (e.g. registered valuation, separation agreement etc).

Contact me for a free no-obligation discussion of your options.

Mortgage Calculator
Pre Approval
Make an Appointment

“Sonya was fantastic in assisting me with organising a mortgage and insurances. My marriage had broken up and it was a really tough time for me but Sonya was always calm and extremely competent. She made the whole process very straightforward and got me a great deal on the mortgage. I would highly recommend her service to others.”

Your Content Goes Here, Your Content Goes Here

“Approximately two years ago I found myself in the unexpected position of divorce and property division. This was a very difficult time in my life and if it hadn’t been for Sonya’s excellent advice and help I would not be in the very sound financial position I find myself in now. Sonya is both friendly and professional. Both my lawyer and accountant remarked on how great Sonya was to deal with.”

Your Content Goes Here, Your Content Goes Here

More Info

Usually a registered valuation will be necessary to establish the market value of your joint property, so that your equity share can be calculated. Sometimes, both parties will agree to obtain one valuation to establish the value of the home. In other cases, each party will obtain their own independent valuation and agree to split the difference if the valuations come in at different values.

A separation agreement is a contract between spouses, or partners. It usually resolves all issues relating to division of assets, child custody, child support etc. The agreement must be in writing and signed by each party after they have taken independent legal advice.

We strongly recommend that you have a lawyer draft the agreement for you. Even in cases of amicable separations, it is essential for your future security to have a signed, legally binding separation agreement.

One of the first questions people ask is – can I afford to keep the house and buy out my ex-partner?

I can give you an honest appraisal of your borrowing situation. I am concerned, not only with how much the bank will lend you, but how much you feel comfortable repaying per fortnight, based on your new circumstances.

Once I help you do the numbers, you can decide whether or not you want to keep the house. Alternatively, we can arrange a pre-approval for you to buy a different property with the matrimonial proceeds coming to you as your deposit.

Your income may be a mixture of part-time income, benefit income, and/or child support. We have experience in obtaining mortgage finance based on all types of income.

All Services

First Home

Trading up to Your Next Home

Rental Property Investors

Overseas Kiwis Buying in NZ


a Home

Your Home


Self Employed